Parent and Teen Workshop Descriptions
Workshops for parents and teens are offered on demand and are often organized for a particular school or community*. Please contact us with your requirements:
Partnering for Academic Success™
A workshop event for parents and their teenagers
Parents and students team up to learn how to better connect and collaborate to dramatically improve academic performance and communication skills.
Students and parents will:
- Learn what their learning styles are and how to use them to develop strategies for success
- Understand the importance of a strong partnership and simple ways to deescalate conflict around school issues
- Gain clarity on the truths of teen brain and skill development: what’s realistic to expect, skill wise, and what needs to be learned
- Acquire strategies in organization, time management and project planning.
- Help students build autonomy and teach parents how and when to help
During the workshop, parent-student teams will use the results of a pre-workshop learning styles assessment each partner will take to learn best studying and organizing practices for each learning style. Teams will have hands-on experience tackling note taking strategies, designing a study space and multi tasking. Parents will have an opportunity to be students and students to be teachers. In the course of the workshop, parents and teens will work with both their own family and others.
By the end of the workshop, all teams will have a toolbox of tips and strategies to
- Foster deeper understanding of differences in style and approach
- Think outside the box when dealing with school tasks at home
- Keep disagreements under control and handle homework issues with calm
- Strengthen student feelings of competence and motivation and parents ability to trust
Who should attend: Parents and middle school students from grades 6-10. It is best if there can be one child per one parent, so if there are two students in one family, it’s great if possible for two adults to be present.
Parenting for Student Success™
A Workshop for Parents and Schools
- Helping parents collaborate instead of collide with their student
- Understanding student challenges regarding the management of complex assignments
- Implementing critical strategies now for future success
- Handling organization and time management issues
- Fostering independence in your student
- Navigating the minefields of micromanagement