SOS Study Clinic - Complete Homework and Sharpen Skills
The SOS Study Clinic is designed for middle school and high school students in grades 6-12. For 90 minutes after school twice a week students will work on school assignments with support and guidance from senior SOS coaches.
Benefits of clinic
- Assistance and structure for students to complete assignments without parental involvement and immediately after school.
- No parent nagging or nudging! SOS will provide a supportive space for students to set goals and objectives for each session and to identify tasks to accomplish by the end of the clinic that day
- Emphatically not a study hall but a space to learn study strategies in real time with students
- Great for students who are better off completing the bulk of their homework immediately after school rather than procrastinating.
- No distractions!
- Students will end the clinic each week with a sense of completion and accomplishment.
When, Where and Cost
- Each week on Tuesday and Thursday at the Orinda Academy (19 Altarinda Road in Orinda) from 4:00-5:30pm
- Cost: $575 per quarter (Orinda Academy: $500)
- By car - easy access from Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda and the 13/24 interchange in Oakland
- By BART- five minute walk from the Orinda BART station
How the clinic works
At the start of each session, students will create a plan for completing works as follows:
- Identify all homework to be done for the next day and then those assignments which are longer term but have steps that need to be taken towards completion
- Ensure all homework is noted in planner, smart phone or lap top and matches whatever teachers have posted on line
- Establish priorities and rank assignments by urgency
- Determine realistic goals for the clinic that day-what will student work on and what help does he/she require to accomplish work.
- Spend session working towards completion of goals set. Student will leave session with those assignments completed.
- Coach will be providing assistance, tips and strategies for each student as appropriate. Coach help includes but is not limited to assisting students in breaking down projects, working on a paper, completing a set number of problems in a time frame, reading and comprehending text, research tips, help with note taking and studying for tests. Focus is on the process of learning and work production.
- Coach/student will email brief summary of accomplishments for that day and note work to follow up on at home.
Is this different from an after school study hall or "homework club?"
SOS Study clinic affords students the opportunity to get a head start on and complete assignments with help from our coaches in setting reasonable goals, breaking down tasks, estimating time, planning, and jumpstarting. We
Why do we have to sign up for a quarter vs on a week to week/as needed basis?
Students need routine and commitment to the structure of a study clinic. Like one on one coaching, the scheduled twice weekly block of time allows students to come and count on being able to finish work , to receive much needed help and plan efficiently. Students can begin to rely less on evening hours when they are tired and less on their game to complete work and instead get the tough stuff done earlier in the day.
Is this clinic designed for students with learning disabilities and/or ADHD?
The clinic is ideal for students with issues in processing, working memory, attention, focus, and follow -through. SOS coaches understand ADHD and learning challenges as they impact the completion of homework!
How does this differ from one on one coaching? Could I do both? How do I know which is best?
The ninety minute clinic is run with a small group of students. The coach will connect with all of the students individually at the beginning of the session and during the clinic to assist and guide. One on one work is more intensive and affords a higher level of personalized assistance over the course of fifty minutes. Some students benefit from doing both!
What other support do you offer in a group format?
Summer workshops for students cover all type study strategies and address grades six through twelve. We are considering offering a clinic just for writing assistance during the school year.
How is Orinda Academy involved? Do you favor OA students for enrolling?
Orinda Academy provides us with the space to hold the clinic. During the school year, we provide on-site academic coaching to Orinda Academy students. Enrollment in the clinic is on a first come first serve basis and is limited. Orinda Academy students pay a lower rate for the clinic.
Will middle school and high school students be separated or grouped together?
This depends on enrollment. Ultimately, we will separate the age groups as enrollment increases.
- Students who need intensive subject remediation such as in Geometry, Chemistry or a language class should work with a content tutor or a teacher at school. This clinic will not provide content remediation for students or instruction in curriculum.
- Any cancellations must be given in writing. No refund will be given if notification is provided less than 7 days before 1st session. If cancellation is done with enough notice, a refund will be given minus a $50 cancellation fee
- Limited enrollment
- Need more information? Contact Marcie Dompier at 510-531-4767 or email@example.com
- Orinda Academy Student $500 - Register
- Other Students (grades 6-12) $575 - Register