Everything your student needs to know about expository writing for high school!
$545 | Orinda, CA | 4pm to 7pm on August 2, 3, 4
Includes Workbook & Snacks | Register Now
The introduction of Common Core has shaken up writing education. This course addresses that challenge in a way that no schools have successfully done.
Writing Rx is an intensive, Common Core–aligned, multi-day boot camp that trains students to write expository essays, taking a position and amassing details to support it. Students learn to:
- Organize their thoughts on a topic
- Gather evidence
- Find sources
- Develop an argument
- Take notes on documents & incorporate them into the argument
- Organize information effectively
- Craft a thesis statement
"Yesterday, (my son) had a paper to write. He used the suggestions from the Writing Rx as a way to help him format a cogent, well-articulated paper. The materials are excellent and really made the process much easier for him than it has been in the past. Thank you for giving him an invaluable tool that he can use for the rest of his life."
Students learn a system for writing that they can repeat again and again.
Many students approach assignments by jumping from the prompt straight into writing, hoping the essay will emerge fully formed from their head. This course develops a dependable strategy that students can repeat again and again.
Our prescription for writing will:
- Replace “analysis paralyisis” with a sequence of discrete steps to follow
- Free students from “reinventing the wheel” with every assignment
- Provide a system students can replicate no matter what the subject
- Increase students’ confidence about writing
We provide individualized attention for all students.
Instructors for this course are SOS senior coaches with extensive experience, from teaching students with learning disabilities to helping Advanced Placement students tackle more complex assignments. Writing Rx maximizes their impact with:
- 1 – 6 students per instructor
- Maximum personal attention
- Nine hours of workshop over three days
"SOS was the missing link for my son's academic success and a positive boost for his self confidence!"
- Tammy, Parent
$545 | Orinda, CA | 4pm to 7pm on August 4, 5, 6 | Includes Workbook & Snacks